Monday, September 15, 2008

Diver Lake Cyclocross Race

So... I finally made a blog. I've thought about it a few times, but always decided I don't like blogs. Whatever.

Sometime last fall (before I'd met her), Amy decided that this year she was going to do some cyclocross (apparently "cyclocross" isn't in the dictionary for Blogger's spell checker. Tut tut.) races. She wanted me to come with her. Why not? "It'll be a good laugh!"
Cross on the Rock Race #1 was at Diver Lake, Nanaimo on September 15th, so Amy picked me up at my place at 9:20 on Sunday morning (well, she was early), and we balanced our bikes on the rack, knowing that Brian would sort them out when we got to his place.
Julia had been baking, and sent the three of us off with warm banana muffins. Here's a photo of Amy demonstrating their deliciousness:

Sean wanted to come, but had to work, and was apparently a little bitter :( Next time Sean.
Somewhere around Chemainus we were passed by Derek in his mum's car. This pleased Amy, as she's got a bit of a crush on him (LOL).

After registration Amy started to turn a little white from nervousness (though the blue tongue is from Gatorade).I was worried she was going to either bail out or throw up, but we pinned on each other's numbers and made our way to the start line.
Since it was the first 'cross race of the season, Wendy (Kona-sponsored, pro racer) and a gentleman (whose name I forget - Sean?) did a pre-race beginners' clinic. We rode the course twice, stopping at the tricky bits. Amy and I were picked out as stragglers on the second lap and Wendy rode at the back with us.
There were about 8 men and 6 women in the beginner's class. Only one lady had ridden a cross race before. She was riding a bright green Jake the Snake - Amy's dream bike (because of the colour of course). The women left 30 seconds after the men. Amy and I stayed at the line for a few seconds to let everyone else leave.
The course started in the wood and then wove around on a small grass field, crossed the road, rounded the corner to three hurdles in front of the tennis courts, went up a hill and along a gravel path to a (wide - to Amy's agreement) bridge, then onto a small BMX track. Up an (unridable, for me) hill, down the other side, through some deep gravel by the climbing frame (mandatory dismount!), wove around some shady trees, up another hill, along the side of the lake and back across the road (over some bumpy roots) and onto the field again (not nearly as smooth as it looks!), and back into the trees to the start line again.
I spent most of the first two laps one the wheel of the lady in blue (Kerry? - sorry I forgot names). I was riding faster than her, but she'd clearly been practicing dismounts and remounts - very graceful. And I'm crap at running. Thanks to Ted's coaching I was able to dismount properly (if with considerable loss of momentum!), but apparently on the wrong side of my bike.



Amy going so fast that she's blurry:

Amy feeling a little better now that she's achieved her goal, "One lap and I'll be happy!":
After the hurdles:

I've no idea how many laps we ended up doing, but the bell lap seemed to come a lot earlier than I expected. My bike started clicking just before the last lap, and since the rear hub has been clunking for a week anyway I thought that was the issue, but as I passed the registration tent, Trevor shouted "There's a stick in your deralleur". It wasn't until the last lap that I tried to ride up a couple of the hills, and realised they were easily ridable. It would have saved me a lot of time if I'd realised that earlier. I think I saw everyone dismounting for them hills during the practise and assumed I would need to as well.
Thanks Brian and Julia for taking some photos.

A nice photo of Julia and Mallory:
Brian and Derek rode in the intermediate class.
Derek on his borrowed LeMond Poprad:

Brian taking the hurdles "like a gazelle", and Derek dismounting behind:
The organisers changed the course to include a couple more hills, which Brian was worried about with sub-par brakes, but he looked in control throughout.
A nice "action" shot:

Derek looking relaxed:
An out-of-focus Brian:
Some lady checking out Brian's legs:
Amy wanted me to take a photo of this pink motorbike we saw:
Julia, Mallory and Simone:
The "Master's" class was next up, which Trevor was riding in.

While that race was going on Derek, Amy and I decided to go and find some lunch. We ended up in a "confusing" restaurant in Zellers that had no till and reminded Derek of a hospital. We came back with lunch and a liter of milk each. We'd hoped to get back for the end of the Master's race, but Trevor was already lying on the grass when we got back, and the last few riders were finishing up their bell lap. I think Trevor finished fifth.
Derek and his chicken club:

Amy and a burrito:
Trevor animatedly telling the story of how he tore another jersey: The "Expert" class was last, which was fun to watch. Wendy tripped on a hurdle and landed in a pile on the ground, and rode the rest of the race with a bloody leg.
I tried to get a photo of Simone racing, but as soon as we saw him coming, he was gone and I ended up with a photo of the tree he'd disappeared behind.

We had a great day - it was hot and sunny with a nice breeze, and everyone was smiling and having fun. The race was really well organised and the course was excellent. All the first-time riders we spoke to said they would definitely be riding 'cross again. The next race is in Victoria in three weeks, so Amy and I are practicing "getting on and getting off" in preparation for Cross on the Rock #2.

3 comments:

BANGLADESHI said...

Really all this photos are speaking how nicly you all are enjoyed that day.

Im dreaming for a sweet vacation too.

And nice post

FigBug said...

I made a video of the beginner race, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asHdkE9t8UA

See you in victoria!

FigBug said...

Oh, and do the women's race, not beginner, and you'll get a longer race.