Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chemainus and Back

I went for a short ride after work today. I would much rather work 8:30 - 5 or something than 9:30 - 6, especially during the winter when it gets dark so early. I am quite happy to ride on the road in the dark, but not so keen on the mountain. I'm supposed to finish at 6, but don't seem to be able to leave before 6:20, no matter how "ready" to leave I am at 5:50. By the time I get home and get changed, etc. its at least 7pm.
Today I didn't get out to ride until about 7:30. Ed (gentleman from the apartment across from mine - at home on workers comp recovering from a torn ACL, also a cyclist) said he was bored, so I invited him along. I asked him to go in front, and said I'd ride at his speed, but he wanted me to go first. He stopped me before we'd got to the roundabout at the end of the block, out of breath, so he went in front for a bit, then decided he couldn't ride with me. I said I was quite happy to go at his pace, but he headed home.
I took a loop back to the highway and rode to Chemainus and back at a steady pace. I would have liked to stay out another hour or so, but I'm already behind on sleep.
Riding past the power station on the east side of the road I startled a deer calf (is that what you call baby deer? ... fawn maybe?). There was a chainlink fence around the transformers, so it just kept running forwards. It was running at exactly my speed, so it kept running along the bank next to me until the end of the fence. It reminded me of the guys jumping the hurdles at Sunday's 'cross race.
I turned by blinker off coming down the hill before the Crofton turn off (at Russel Farm Market) and put my "big" light on medium beam after not seeing some roadkill until the last second. I managed to swerve it, but would have had to carve a tire track through it if the shoulder wasn't so wide. I think it was a cat or a raccoon-like creature. It was fully intact (I don't think I've ever spelt "intact" before), as was the other thing I narrowly missed on my way back. This one had shorter fur though, and was curled up in a ball. First thought was "beaver", but beavers aren't very common around here, are they?
I'm always suprised by the hot and cold spots at night. I'll be riding along, no wind, and the air will suddenly turn cold. Trees provide protection from the wind, but I wouldn't expect they'd hold heat in still air the way they do.
It's starting to get chilly at night. I could have done with something on my arms. I'm so used to just pulling on a jersey. I'll soon have to start the layering again.

Time: 1:23
Distance: 35.9 km

No comments: