Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Electronic Banking Conspiracy Theory

I love Wikipedia. I don't take everything on there as truth, because it's editable (and written) by the public. I love the links though.
Sometime about two days ago I read something online that I wasn't familiar with, so opened up a new tab in my browser and copied and pasted it into my Wikipedia search bar. I don't remember what it was, but in any Wikipedia article are links to every other name, place, event, or whatever, that's mentioned. When I come across anything I want to read about, I right click on it, and click "Open in new tab". Of course, this is recursive - for each page opened, I will open several more pages while reading it.
I never close my browser (and if I do have to close it I save the tab list, so I can pick up where I left off when re-opening it), so here I am several days later with 32 tabs open (not at all uncommon), 18 of which are Wikipedia pages. I've got everything here from "Ku Klux Klan", "Exploding Whales", "Harold Shipman", "Pixar", and "List of Conspiracy Theories".

I love conspiracy theories. (I loved The Matrix, but that's another post). In high school I wrote a paper about the "Paul is Dead" theory. A friend and I came up with some crazy ones, including one about Princess Diana not being dead at all, but living on an hidden island in the middle of a lake in Manchester. There are some lesser known ones like Watchtower XVII, Tril, cheating by Deep Blue, AIDS being artificial, and the common ones, such as the JFK assassination, Global Warming, September 11th Attacks, Peak Oil, Area 51, faked moon landings and the New World Order.

The Electronic Banking Conspiracy theory is an extension of the New World Order, in which a group of people are planning to "take over the world", and control all world affairs by controlling banking. They plan to make money entirely virtual (all just numbers stored electronically, and assumingly volatiley), and then shut the electricity off. Apparently this process began with the Renaissance.
There are several criticisms of this theory. I mean you'd think they could come up with a quicker way. Seven hundred years is a lot of waiting. Seriously though, what's to stop a bank "loosing" our numbers. I've read Google has eight-times redundancy. Do banks keep good backups? Where (geographically) is the data stored? What if someone found out the server locations and destroyed them? What now?

Has anyone made a movie about this?

No comments: