Saturday, November 29, 2008

Beban Park Cross Race

Well, I'm only one week late...

The pics are at Flickr.
(For the people that keep saying "I read your blog, but didn't couldn't find any pictures (translated as: "I scrolled down the post and didn't see any pics, and can't be bothered with reading), you have to click on the link to see them)

Last Saturday's race was a great day. The weather was very nice, and we had no rain all day. We rode in jerseys (jersies?), but needed more layers while standing around.
Amy and I arrived a little late, both needing to pee, but having little time to pre-ride the course, so we thought we'd multi-task and ride the course, and stop at the bathroom when we got there. We got lost as the course hadn't been completely marked out. A gentleman pointed us in the right direction, and we went the wrong way around the BMX track, and again got lost, so only did about half the course.
The course was great. It started on a rough road, then did a bit of weaving about on a field, through some trees, around the BMX track, grass, steep "run-up", steep "downhill", off camber grassy bit, up some steps, grass, rough road, spiral "sand pit" (horse ring), grass/puddles/mud, hurdles and grass.
Amy and I rode in the beginner race. I was second, until the second corner where I didn't know which way to go, so braked and followed the others. There was an "interesting" moment on the first lap at the ramp at the beginning of the BMX track:
Me (behind Amy): "Are you going to ride this, Amy?"
Amy: "I don't know."
Me: "We're right behind you."
Amy starts to ride up the slope (with no room to pass) - and stops. I hit her back tire. Someone runs into the back of me. The person behind her stops and gets off. The person behind him shouts "Isn't this ridable?"

Unfortunately, Amy got a flat on the second lap. I didn't realize this, and was stood at the finish line for quite a while waiting for her to finish.
Dave and Derek rode the intermediate race, and were joined by Sean on his first cross race. Dave did really well (though I'm not sure where he placed), Derek broke his chain, and Sean rode the whole race with a smile.


Trevor rode the expert class, and also flatted, and ran the course from the BMX track to the sandpit. Dave rode a second race in the expert class, this time in Everti kit. He looked knackered, but finished.

I can't really remember much else. I should've written this earlier.
However, everyone had heaps of fun throughout the series, and I think Norm and Wendy did an excellent job with organizing the whole thing.
As Amy would say, "GOOD WORK!"

Three of my favourite pictures were ones I took of the reflections in Derek's and Trevor's glasses. It occurred to me afterwards while going through the photos that it would have been soooo cool to have a group of riders reflected in Derek's mud-splattered glasses (in the photo at the top).

1 comment:

Pedalman said...

Great post and terrific photos. It looked like a great time had by all.