Monday, December 29, 2008

The Mac are Back!

The music we get in Staples is a playlist of what seems like 10 songs from 1998 or someyear, played over and over all day, that gets streamed from Staples HQ. As you can imagine, we get pretty sick of this.

In a lot of places (eg. Walmart) the Christmas music started November 1 st, as Hallowe'en was over.
Staples' HQ is in Boston, and therefore we didn't get any at all until December, when Thanksgiving was over in the states. For the first few days about one song in five was christmassy, and I remember saying, "It's not so bad. One song now and then is manageable." As per Murphy's Law, the "normal" music was eradicated the next day, and every song became a different version of about three Christmas carols, just done slower, or in country or rap, or with a saxophone.
Macy Grey singing "Last Christmas" gets old quickly.

Imagine my delight as I pushed open the swingy doors to the sales floor this Monday morning to hear

Something in you brought out something in me, that I've never been since
That part of me that was only for you,
That kind of romance
Comes only once, that kind of love
That kind of fever dance
That you love because you become someone else in an instant

Say you will, say you will give me one more chance
At least give me time to change your mind
That always seems to heal the wounds, if I can
Get you to dance


I've missed Fleetwood Mac. Monday mornings just weren't Monday mornings without them.

I thought about it for a while while cleaning up the tech room and getting on at the boys for not labeling things. Fleetwood are the perfect Monday morning music - very neutral. When Evanescence is too depressing, Queen are too flamboyant, Matthew Good is too political, Genesis can't decide what they are, Linkin Park are too angry, The Killers are too popular, Meatloaf goes on too long, Arcade Fire are overwhelming, The Beatles don't make any sense, you can't figure out how Billy Joel made his way into your playlist, Def Leppard do too many love songs, Deep Purple are too loud, Mike Oldfield can;t decide what mood he's in, Rammstein are too German, and you realize that Chris Martin can't really sing, Fleetwood Mac are always there to be neutral.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I hear you. My part time job is in retail and if I had to hear Bing Crosby sing about bringing some figgy pudding once more I was gonna scream.

Rach said...

I think a lot of people will agree with you. I thought I had turned on the local weather channel and that they had finally stopped playing Christmas songs (although it was December before they started), but the current song playing has mentioned that "It's Christmas". They have to stop playing these songs, say tomorrow?

I have to agree with how you've described artists, and I think a lot of people will agree. However, even if you spend all day listening to Fleetwood Mac you'll probably get tired of them eventually, unfortunately.