Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Long time, no blog.

I haven't written a blog post in 12 days.
Why?

Have I nothing to write about?
Certainly not. I'm always writing blog posts in my head that never get written.
I haven't been busy with other stuff or anything.
I keep saying to myself that I should write about stuff, but it hasn't happened.
No idea why.

Anyway.
On the Tuesday before yesterday, I overheard James tell a customer that the technician would be in Monday through Friday. I found this strange as Wednesdays and Sundays are my days off. When I corrected him he said, "Well, you're on the schedule to work Wednesday." and what do you know, I was. Manager Sharon, when questioned, said that she and Manager Jeff had decided it would be better if I worked Wednesdays as it was getting busy (for Christmas). So they give me Saturdays off? Because no one does any shopping on Saturdays, right?
They could have at least told me, even if they weren 't going to ask if it was okay.
I'm a little bit bitter. It doesn't make any sense for me to have two days off in a row. Everyone else in the store works shifts except Ben the shipper/receiver, Nancy who does paperwork, and me. That means that if someone doesn't get everything done, someone else will do it - people that do shifts never get behind, and can take time off when they want. I'm the only person that does my job, so if I'm off for two days, stuff just piles up, and it takes me three days to get caught up. And if I get behind, I've got customers shouting at me.
If you work shifts, if you get bad days off, you get different days off the nest week. I never get a weekday off, so have no opportunity to run errand between 9 and 5 on weekdays.
It's not good for the biking either. Because it's winter, and it's cold and dark before and after work, and my lightset got stolen, I could only ride on my days off. Since I only got to ride twice a week, I liked to try and do long rides, and stay out for 4, 6, 8 or more hours. I can' really do that two days in a row. My new lightset arrived this week, so I could go out riding again after work, but we also got a load of snow last Saturday, and a load more today, which makes riding difficult and dangerous.

The Sunday before last (7th) I went on a ride by myself. I went off with the intention of riding around the fireroads in and around the Chemainus river park (Hillcrest?), but I got lost, and I took my camera too, so I didn't really get that far, but had a nice ride and got very muddy.



Last Saturday I went on a ride up Tzouhalem with Hilary and Michele. It had snowed the night before, so there was no snow in town but several inches on the mountain.

We went up some singletrack, which was fine, as the trees kept the smow off the trails, but the fireroad was almost unridable, especially for climbing.
So, we wound our way down Showtime, the end of Chicken Run 3, and then (accidentally) did Three Muskateers. After Tea Cup and Resurection we took Ben on a little run along the trail at the other end of the parking lot to the viewpoint, (where I broke a shifter cable), and came back again.
More pics here.


It started snowing heavily, and I went round to Hilary's afterwards, then went to the Brew Pub for dinner with Hilary, Dave, Amy, Sean, Trevor and Amy's friend Cassy. Then we went to The Moon where Hilary introduced me to London Fogs. Saturday was a good day.

We were planning on doing a long cross ride all together on Sunday, but we got about five inches of snow overnight, so that didn't happen.

No comments: