Monday, December 22, 2008

Let it Snow...

So, as you will know, I've only been able to ride on my days off recently (because it's dark after and before work, and I've got no lights), and my days off have now been changed to weekends, which I hate.
Anyway, I got my new lights (the AyUp kit) so I could ride in the dark again, but it snowed two Sundays ago, and I expected it to last a day or two, then turn to mud, but it's been here since, and we just got a big top up over the weekend.
So no riding for me, not even at weekends. In fact, for the first time in a year I did a load of laundry without a single pair of bike shorts in. I find that depressing. There have even been two days (last Monday and today) when I haven't ridden to work - I've walked. I rode to work for the rest of the week however, and it is quite fun when the snow gets well packed. I've been riding on the sidewalks though, as there's even less room for me on the road. The packed snow on the paths is extremely bumpy and skiddy. The skids can be kept under control by shifting your weight back, and after a while they become fun. Fire Mountain has been handling the snow very well, but I took the HockRopper on a bit of a ride to Walmart and back along Somenos/Sherman as it was snowing quite heavily, and it definitely did better than Fire Mountain, not because of the knobbies or suspension or anything like that, but because of the riding position and it seems more maneuverable (if this were a magazine review, that would be "chuckable"). Fire Mountain does straight lines very well, and is "stable as houses". In fact I once rode 97% of the way to Crofton without hands (cue the Flobots: "I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handle bars"), but it's difficult to move around, which is really noticeable after riding the Hopper. I think it's got a lot to do with the bars. I really like the wide bars.

No comments: