Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sunday

I went mountain biking on Sunday afternoon, and on a short road ride in the evening with Amy and Julia.
Pics at Flikr.

In the afternoon I rode up the trail behind Providence Farm that joins up to the Old M/L. I've never seen another biker on this trail, but always several hikers. The hikers park at the car park next to the little-house-on-the-prairie-type church and hike up to the cross and back. Mountain bikers park at the water tower (that isn't there any more), and ride the trails on the north side of the mountain. I find it funny how the hikers think the cross is the top.

Rides seem to take so much longer with a camera. As soon as I'd put my camera back in my bag and ridden about 20m, I'd stop to get it out again. By the time I'd made it to the Old M/L I realized that I hadn't got much daylight to ride in, and should've brought more than blinkies. I hadn't ridden Field of Dreams for ages and really wanted to, so took the Old M/L to the main fireroad, took a bit of singletrack up, then fire road, then Field of Dreams. It was getting darker, so did Little Dipper, Y connector, Why be a Roadie?, school's Out, Toxic Tea Cup, Resurection. I didn't get much chance to ride much singletrack - I'd meant to leave earlier, but ...didn't.
I noticed how nice(?) and "designed" all the gardens looked in The Properties as I rode down, so took a detour through rather than going straight down Kingsview. Of course, I ended up going down a road that was a dead end, and had to climb up quite a bit to go down again. I rode a bit of singletrack behing the school, and rode home.

Amy, Julia met at Amy's at 7 pm. Amy leant me Cycicle to ride (since Jake was in the shop). After a bit of messing around with pedals (Is this the right way? No - it should be clockwise. This is clockwise - or wait - no - yes - well, it's coming off anyway), we did a loop that I've never done before. I can't tell you where we went, as it was dark and I was just following like a sheep. I completely lost my bearings. Cycicle was so smooth and easy to ride (even with nobbies), but way to big for me. I stayed on the tops and didn't go near the hoods. The drops were comfortable except for saddle issues. Thanks for lending him out Amy!

The weather was, once again, perfect. Sunny, no wind, warm but not hot. It's been a very good year for riding so far. The only bad day of weather we've had this fall was the day I went to Parksville.

Distance: 24 km
Time: 3:13

Distance: 13 km (though it was 21 starting and ending at my place)
Time: 41 mins (pretty slow!)

No comments: