Monday, October 20, 2008

Duncan Cyclocross Race

If you don't like reading, pictures at Flikr.

Sunday was the cyclocross race at Providence Farm. I wanted to help setup on Saturday, but was working.
When I got there on Sunday morning it was misty and cold, but it soon cleared and warmed up. It was sunny for the remainder of the day. Hilary, Amy, Tara and Norm had started to get things organized. Brian showed up shortly after. More people arrived, signs were put up, vans unloaded, and jelly beans eaten until it was about 11:o0, when people started to register. Hilary, Evan and I did registration until Amy and I set off to pre-ride the course. Amy was having trouble with her cracked rib on the bumpy course, but battled on and rode the race.

Julia and Mallory stopped by to say hello:The course started in the front field, crossed the driveway, a bit of downhill through the trees, across another grass field, u-turn onto an uphill double-track, through (or not!) a patch of sticky mud, and (my favourite bit - I wish it was longer) in and out of the trees on some floopy (I hope you know that "floopy" is "flowy and swoopy combined" by now) singletrack. There was a fallen log to get over. I dismounted for each lap, but I think I could have rode over it if I'd have tried. Then back into the field for a bit of bumpy zig-zagging back to the start/finish line.
I was at the back of the 6 women beginners until we reached the climb, where I made it past Amy, Kerri, and Crystal. Kerri passed me in the sticky mud where I think skinny tires were of advantage. I rode close behind her for the entire lap, and I passed her again on the climb. Mountain bike gearing is of definite advantage on the climbs! Kerri had a new cross bike, and wasn't quite used to the gearing I think. Sean was stood at the top of the climb to take photos of us looking knackered. Why couldn't he have taken photos of us flying down the downhill smiling?! The rest of the ride went by uneventfully for me. I made it through the muddy patch for the remaining laps, finding it easier to shift down and spin in the saddle to keep weight on the back wheel. I caught sight of Jen a couple of times, but carried on at my own (leisurely) pace. When I crossed the line and heard the cowbell, it occurred to me that I hadn't been passed by the leader. I spent most of the lap glancing behind me, expecting to see him asking me to move over to let him pass, but because it was a long course I never caught sight of him. Third! Podium! There were no dismounts, other than the log. I loose a LOT of time on the dismounts/running. I hate running.
After the race I went to relieve Hilary at registration, as she had a meeting to go to. Apparently everyone had already registered, because between 12:45 and 3:15, only three people registered. I got a bit bored, especially because registration was set up away from the course, so I couldn't watch or take pictures or anything. So I started taking pictures of everything I could find, including the bottom bracket of one of Kurt's Everti's:

Oh look, here comes Brian:
Unfortunately, when the last race (experts) began and I could go and watch, my batteries were dead and the spares I'd brought apparently hadn't be recharged from my last night ride when I used them for my headlight, so my apologies for the lack of pictures of people actually riding.
Dave predicted that Trevor would win this one. He DNFed with cramping. Simon finished in the middle of the pack somewhere. We saw three people running with flats in the first couple of laps. It was a pretty bumpy course!


Dave, Brian and Derek rode in the intermediate class. I think Dave came fifth, Brian DNFed, and Derek said he didn't do well.
Matt showed up to help with take down, which went very quickly. There was a bit of an awards ceremony, and I headed home.
It was a great day. Everyone really looked to be having fun, and you get to meet so many people at these "events" (as Amy calls them - the word "race" makes her nervous). Attendance was really good. The intermediate men's class had over 30 registered. Hilary and I were quite surprised when she counted up the cash box!
Tara, Kurt, Norm, and everyone did a really good job with the race. It really couldn't have gone better.
Next week Amy wants to go to a cross clinic somewhere or something. The week after is Double Cross (a race on both Saturday and Sunday), and the final race at Beban Park is a Saturday. I work Saturdays, so it looks like my cross season is over for the year.
Already.
Sigh.

PS - My phone's working now.
PPS - My theory about cyclists and jelly beans was further supported by the race. My theory goes as follows: On offering a cyclist candy that's in one's pack, he will always refuse (Amy seems to be the exception here). When one removes the candy from the aforementioned pack and begins to chew on a piece, the cyclist extends his thumb and index finger, takes a step forward and begins his sentence with "Actually, ...". I brought a tupperware tub full of jelly beans, wine gums and taffy to the race. No one wanted any until I got it out. I left the tub on the registration table and it was all gone by the end of the day.


Other people's pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/davenoisy
http://sports.webshots.com/album/567750680VVaIIt
(under "Albums" on the left):
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn169/h-gunn/

Here's me:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2516648170016246455kILwdE
And Amy on the start line:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2080075120016246455igkmOH
And here: (Jen, Kerri, Amy, me, Amanda, Crystal) (I think - correct me if I'm wrong)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! Jen here. Love your blog - great posts and pics on the cross season so far! I will have to pass on to Kerri to check out. Too bad about working Sats! Ah! There's still Errington on Sun. Nov 2? Glad you are enjoying the sport - it's really nice to have met you and Amy. Very reassuring at Diver to meet others giving it a try for the first time!
Great race Sunday and congrats on third place ;) Thanks for hosting!