Friday, February 6, 2009

Ta-Da!!


My new bike is ready to roll.
It's been on the rack in my apartment for about a month now, but has had bits missing (wheels, brakes). Dale and Brian got it all sorted yesterday.
It's not new. It says Lemond on it, but apparently the frame was custom built for a cyclocross racer, whose name I've forgotten. I bought the bike without wheels, and had some wheels built up - Open Pro rims on 105 back, XT front hubs. It's got a double, which I'm a bit worried about. It'll be fine on shorter rides, but over the 100 km mark I think I'm going to be wanting lower gears for long hills.
Brian brought it round to work last night, so as soon as I got home I went riding. As soon as I got on it, it started to rain.
I was going to ride along Lakes, Herd, Bell McKinnon to Crofton, and back along Osbourne, but by the time I'd gotten to Bell McKinnon (stopping twice to lower my saddle) I'd had two "close calls" with drivers that didn't dim their lights for me. One opened his window to yell "Fucking watch where you're going!" after I'd wandered towards the middle of the road while blinded by his headlights. Not my fault - all I can do is brake and hope I'm going straight.
Anyway, I rode the other way along Bell McKinnon and decided to cross the road and rode Drinkwater to Somenos, and went straight accross at the roundabout (not sure what that road's called).
Loved the bike. Sooo fast and easy compared to Jake and the mountain bike. I had no trouble making it up the hills with the bigger gears, but can't see liking them after riding for six hours. So smooth! The gear shifts are very slow though - delayed about 17 seconds sometimes (I counted). It seems to fit well, except the brifters must be in the wrong place, as my hands start to hurt instantly. It's got even less standover than Jake, and (a lot) more toe overlap, but it's smaller, so that's to be expected.
And it's got no fenders yet, so ...

No comments: