Sunday, February 15, 2009

a good weekend of riding

Saturday morning I rode on the road in the morning, and then went riding with Ted in the afternoon.
We went up Tzouhalem for a couple of hours. We rode up the fire road and came down Showtime, the end of Chicken Run 3 (I guess we should have gone right instead of left...), Fluid, and Resurrection.We had a good ride, and decided that we could both ride the end of the "Zig-Zag" woodwork, but it was a bit wet today, so we'll have to do it in the summer.
By then Ted will have his Cove STD, and me my Trek Remedy of course.

I went riding with Hilary today. We took Ben for a bit of a run and ended up at a decked area on the "golf course". We rode up a bit higher from that and came out just above Toxic Tea Cup, and rode down Tea Cup and Resurrection.
Back at the parking lot we ran into Bill, Bruce, and another man (whose name I've forgotten), and then Gail and Linda rolled up. I guess it's been the first nice sunny riding dat since all the snow. The parking lot was full, and most cars had bike racks on.
We headed back up and look the lower old M/L and came accross two lost hikers, and rode with them three-quarters of the way to the cross, then came back a bit and did the beginning of Chicken Run 2, and then attempted Chicken Run 1 backwards, which meant we ended up walking half of it. Riding it backwards meant that one of the bridges that is usually uphill was downhill, so we both rode it.
We then rode up the usual fire road (I told you it was!) to the top, and then along a bit to the top with a better view. While we were there, a guy on a downhill bike with dual-crowns road up without a helmet, and then sat on a stump and started meditating/praying.
We left and rode back down to Field of Dreams, which we rode backwards, and then onto Finality. I must have gone left when I should have stayed right, because I think we were trying to ride backwards along Twist and Shout. We ended up at the bottom of Little Dipper somewhere, and rode the Y Connector, and Why Be A Roadie, School's Out, Tea Cup and Resurrection.
Hilary drove home, while I rode along the Viewpoint Trail and down the Providence Farm Trail.

Two things to be learnt from this weekend:
Don't let me lead - I always go the wrong way.
Riding trails backwards isn't reccommended.

I've noticed my riding is definitely getting better. I did a few things this weekend that I haven't done before. I'm getting more confident on bridges, and the woodwork doesn't look as scary as it used to. I spend more time in the air, and have started jumping over roots rather than smashing into them. I'm getting much faster on singletrack too.
(Ted took that one)

No comments: