Sunday, January 4, 2009

A bit of riding, a chai tea, ginger yam soup, some pottery and wool


Since the ice had melted and the roads seemed in reasonable condition, Hilary and I went for a ride. We left my place at about 11am, and headed for Cow Bay along Tzouhalem Road. When we got there the bakery/cafe was closed, so we stopped in at the pottery place where Hilary introduced me to Colleen. We then headed through the village towards the highway to "Whipple Tree Junction" where we stopped at the coffee shop. Hilary had ginger carrott yam soup, and I played it safe with granola and yogurt. "The Loom" is next door to the coffee shop. I'd never been in there before. It's a tiny little shop with barely enough room to walk around in - it's a good job nothing's breakable. Every shelf is covered in balls of wool, books, and knitted samples and the floor is covered in baskets of wool. We spent quite a while wandering around and learning about "thrumming".
When we came out there was a blizzard going on outside, so we headed home along Bench Road, and back the way we came. We were soaking wet and quite cold by the time we got back to my place. I didn't think the snow was going to settle, but it looks like there's about 2-3 inches on the ground now, and it's still coming down - big flakes, fast and thick.
Distance: 23 km
Time: urmm... 4 hours, 11 minutes

No comments: