Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Remedy 2010

I think the first pictures of the 2010 Remedy hit the forums while I was in Victoria picking up mine.
I'm glad I got mine when I did. I thought the Remedy was a great bike because it aws versatile - a great bike for easy trail riding, but could easily handle my clumsiness trying out freeride stuff and maybe taking it to Mount Washington or Whistler.
A lot of magazine/website reviews said the Remedy had an "identity crisis" (is it a long-travel trail bike or is it a light freeride bike?) thing going on because of this versatiliy, and it seems this year Trek has "addressed" this.
They've made the Remedy into a trail bike. They're making a carbon version. They've reduced travel to 150 at the front (no word on rear travel yet). No more Lyric - 32's instead with 15mm QR. Lighter kit. More expensive.
So what to fill the gap between the Remedy and the Session FR? The "Scratch":
I've no idea what they were thinking calling it "Scratch", but anyway, a coil shock, beefier frame, probably freeride wheels.
I think the Remedy is to compete with the Enduro, and the "Scratch" the SX.
I think it's a bad move by Trek. I think the Remedy sold well (sold out!) because it was neither a trail or freeride bike, but yet both a trail and freeride bike. I read this comment made by LarryFhan on mtbr.com forums:
"I've seen people come into the shop and look at Specialzed and leave with a Trek. I've seen people look at Trek and leave with a GT. I've never seen anyone come in to look at a Remedy and leave with anything else. Though, I have seen people look at a Specialized Pitch and leave with a Remedy!"
As I was walking to the shop to pick up my Remedy, a man wheelied past me test riding an R7, and bought it 10 mins later.

I do like the brown paint scheme though.
The white on mine is way too flashy. I;m going to put a black stem on, but don't know how to tone down the white.

Oh, and Norco are doing some belt drive bikes for 2010...

UPDATE:
The "Scratch Air" seems to have filled the void:
No idea what the geometry will be like though. Probably the same as the coil version, so more freeride-ish.
It does seem like Trek have a lot of overlap in their model line this year.

No comments: