Monday, July 27, 2009

Prevost

There was a thunder storm Saturday night. Funny, the forecast didn't mention it when I checked on Saturday (I don't usually look at the forecast at all, only to see what the current temperature is).
I woke up Sunday morning and mirror fell off the wall. I wasn't even anywhere near it! Seven years bad luck? Bugger.
I decided to ride Prevost, but thought it best to wait until later in the day when there would be more shade. So I left at about 4pm, and rode to the top. I got the time right - the fireroad up must have been 70% SHADE.
I didn't go right up to the cairn, as I was worried about it getting dark, so headed into the trees on a trail I hadn't ridden before. I didn't expect to be able to ride it all, as I'd been told it was steep. Hilary said it would come out at the top of Graceland. After about 20 meters of being hit in the head by large branches, the trail disappeared completely, so I pushed back, only to realize that there was an alternate trail that veered right, so I took that one. I was able to ride the first chunk. It was quite technical with lots of BIG roots. Then I came to the steep stuff - basically a long steep rut full of dusty, gravelly, loose soil. I walked (slid down) this chunk. Then the trail became ridable again, and forked. I went right, which led to a big double (the left fork went round it), followed by a massive wall ride (could ride around).
The rest of the trail was very flowy and steep and loose in sections, but I rode all of it from there on. At the bottom was a sign that pointed across the road that said "Lower Patchwork", so I'm guessing I rode Upper Patchwork then.
It didn't come out at the top of Graceland, but much further down the road, so I raised my saddle and rode along the fireroad.
I was happily spinning along, and slowed down as I approached the beginning of the trail. I was about to get off to lower my saddle when I heard a noise from the tree ahead and to my left. I looked up to see a black mass in the leafless tree, which I assumed was an eagle, but it turned to look at me. Definitely a black bear cub. I can't have been 5 meters from the tree it was in, and to ride down the trail I would have to do almost a full circle around it. Knowing all bear cubs have mothers close by, I legged it down the fire road, and didn't hang around to take a photo.
I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to ride the singletrack down - I might as well have gone with Hilary (hehe!).

No comments: